The Honorary Alumni Award, established during our 50th Anniversary, is one of the highest honors given by the Pitt Community College Alumni Association to individuals who are not graduates of PCC but have adopted the college as their own through uncommon outstanding service, substantial and continuing commitment, and loyalty. These individuals have made significant contributions to Pitt Community College’s welfare, reputation, prestige, and pursuit of excellence. In recognition of the expressions of goodwill, the Alumni Association occasionally inducts those who are particularly deserving to be inducted as honorary members of the Alumni Association. Selections are made by the Awards Committee of the Alumni Association.
Betty Langston is an East Carolina Graduate and holds a degree in Home Economics. She was a teacher at Greene Central High School and then a Special Populations Coordinator at North Pitt High School. Betty serves on the Pitt Community College Foundation Board and volunteers her time to the Special Events Committee. Erin Greenleaf said. “She sees the financial needs of many of our students and does her part to help lessen that burden. Betty works tirelessly for the PCC Foundation; especially for the Special Events Committee. She is a reliable, hardworking and dedicated volunteer who loves Pitt Community College and it shows.”
Diane is currently the senior vice president for finance and administration at CopyPro. She has served on numerous boards at ECU, including the ECU Educational Foundation, the ECU Pirate Club, and the Chancellor Search Committee in 2000. She has previously served on the PCC Board of Trustees and co-chaired the PCC Foundation’s Futures First Capital Campaign. She has established the “Make It Happen Endowed Scholarship” with the PCC Foundation in 2000 to assist students pursing degrees in business administration.
A New Jersey native, Herman Simon grew up during the Great Depression Era and worked his way through New York University. An avid learner, he has made a lifelong commitment to education and training young people to become productive citizens. He is a Certified Public Accountant and holds a law license as well. Mr. Simon, who now lives in Chapel Hill, is a financial consultant with Greenville’s Eddie and Jo Allison Smith Family Foundation and was a key player in the creation of PCC’s VISIONS Career Development and Scholarship Program in 2004 and the HORIZONS program two years later. Through his role with the Smith Family Foundation, he has been a leader in allocating financial resources to PCC programs and students. Mr. Simon has been a true supporter, encourager and friend of PCC. He was presented with the college’s Distinguished Service Award in 2007. A year later, PCC broke ground on the Herman Simon Building, a 35,765-square-foot-addition to the college’s health sciences facility. In 2010, friends and family came together to dedicate the brand new, $5 million Simon Building on Aug. 6.
Walter Williams is a 1951 physical education graduate of East Carolina Teachers College (now East Carolina University). After serving in the military he received a master’s degree in education supervision in 1955. He is the founder of Trade Oil Company and Trade Mart, a chain of gas stations and convenience stores in Eastern North Carolina. In 2005, Trade Oil Company merged with WilcoHess and Williams became its executive vice president. He also serves as president of Trade Oil, a real estate company. Williams is a key booster, supporter, and advocate of his alma mater and Pitt Community College, having co-chaired Pitt’s successful Futures First Capital Campaign in 2008. That same year, he received the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce’s inaugural Legends Award for his exemplary contributions to the betterment of the community. In 2002, Mr. Williams, who currently serves on the PCC Board of Trustees, was awarded the prestigious Order of the Long Leaf Pine, which recognizes achievements of outstanding North Carolina citizens. He has received many awards from his alma mater, including the 1996 Distinguished Service Award and the 2010 Outstanding Alumni Award. He recently was the recipient of the Greater Greenville Community Foundation 2010 Legacy Award.